New professional degree programs require approval from the department, college, Office of Academic Affairs, Faculty Senate, Board of Trustees, and the Board of Governors.
Forms: Download the forms and tables below that are required for submitting a request to offer a new degree program:
The process involves two steps: a pre-proposal and a proposal.
1. Vetting and Provost's Office Submission: After vetting the pre-proposal through the college, submit it to the Provost's Office for approval. The proposal will be considered by the Provost's Office Staff and the provost will make a final decision. If approved to go forward, the program will be included on the university's Work Plan and go before the Council of Academic Vice President's work group for vetting and feedback.
2. College Curriculum Committee Submission: If the pre-proposal is approved, the department finalizes the proposal and submits it to the college curriculum committee (or a similar committee). New course requests related to the program must be approved prior to submission of the proposal.
3. Review: If approved at the college level, the proposal is sent to the Office of the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Affairs. The Undergraduate Affairs Office staff will review the proposal for consistency with academic policies, then forward the proposal, along with staff assessments, to a sub-committee of the University Curriculum Committee, appointed by the Associate Provost, for an in-depth review and discussion with the department.
4. University Curriculum Committee and Senate Agenda: If approved, the proposal is sent to the full University Curriculum Committee as an information item and to the Faculty Senate Steering Committee for inclusion on the Senate agenda.
5. Faculty Senate: The Faculty Senate has two readings for proposals, first as an information item and finally as an action item.
6. Provost's Office to Board of Trustees: If approved, the proposal is sent to the Provost's Office for inclusion on the agenda of the UF Board of Trustees.
7. Board of Governors: If approved, the proposal is sent to the Board of Governors for final authorization.
8. Approval and Notification: If approved by the Board of Governors, the Provost's Office sends notification to the Office of Institutional Planning and Research and the Office of Admissions.
9. Notification to SACSCOC.